Friday 28 August 2009

Smile like you mean it...

Today I went to harrow to pick up some things for work and for the party next friday. There were people from a well known charity stopping passers by "selling" the charity and asking for money. What do you do when you see this going on? If you are asked to stop and have a minute what do you say? I would really like to know. Today I stopped and listened.

I chatted to a guy called adam who told me about what the charity were doing. He told me of stories of little girls in third world countries and how little it would cost to help them out. He seemed like a cool guy. Truth is I am skint, but then isnt everyone? I stopped for another charity a couple of months ago, I think its nice to chat to them and hear whats going on as I know it must be a hard job. They're decent people. Today I explained about my uni course (and how extortionate it is) and the volunteer work I had done in the past. This guy was more forcefull, keeping eye contact the whole time, he really wasn't taking no for an answer. I did make my way onwards though, politely thanking him and hopefully saying maybe in the future. It has made me think though. Think about how much I forget about other stuff going on. How much should I be doing?

Before I came to uni I did two gap years, of which I paid to do volunteer work, something I immensley valued, and also like to think did some good whilst I was there, so was beneficial for those whom I was working with. I have continuely helped out with youthwork and summer camps for free, and volunteer as a counsellor as part of my placement? I'm no saint, I assure you, but one person can't help everyone right? Where would you draw the line?

While writing this I have been thinking, if I can't pay to help each month, its good to remember and to remind myself atleast to pray for them. This is something I will ponder, I know there's the whole tithing thing too, but I'm not being paid, I'm actually having other people generously support me through uni!

0 comments: